Effect of hyoscine–n-butyl bromide (Buscopan) rectal suppository in active phase of labour in primigravida
Introduction: Labour is a physiological process characterized by onset of uterine contractions leading to progressive increase in frequency, intensity and duration of uterine contractions, effacement and dilatation of cervix with descent of foetus through birth canal resulting in delivery of foetus with placenta and membranes. Hyoscine butyl bromide is most commonly used in labour room and has variable results in both primigravida and multigravida.
Aim and Objective: 1. To evaluate the efficacy of Hyoscine-n- butyl bromide (buscopan) suppository in the active phase of labour in a primigravida.2. To evaluate the maternal and fetal complications of using the buscopan suppository.
Materials and Methodology: Primigravida with gestational age 37 completed weeks - 40 weeks admitted in the labour ward with spontaneous onset of labour or induced labour who-fulfil the inclusion & exclusion criteria were randomly selected in this study after taking informed consent.
Study group: 150 pregnant women at the initiation of active phase allowed forlabour with instillation of single dose of Buscopan rectal suppository (10 mg) in active phase for cervical dilatation.
Control group: 150 pregnant women at the initiation of active phase allowed forlabour without any drug for cervical dilatation.
Study Design: Prospective case control study.
Result: The mean duration of active phase of labour in study group is 3 hours 10 minutes & in control 5 hours 44 minutes. The difference between both the groups was statistically significant (‘p’ value < 0.001). No significant difference in maternal and fetal complications between study group and control group.
Conclusion: Buscopan suppository was very effective in reducing the duration of active phase of labour by promoting cervical dilatation. There was no significant second or third stage complication with the use of the drug. No untoward side effects were noted in the mother or foetus.
2. Sarala G, Vinita. Textbook of Mudaliar and Menonsclinical Obstetric, 10thed, Chennai Orient Longman 2005;83-115.
3. Shirish ND, Chakravarthy S, Daftary GS. Holand and Brewsmanual of Obstretics. New Delhi 2002; 152
4. Jitendra H, Ainapure S. Hyoscine Butyl bromide Suppositories:Indian Medical Gazette, .2000; 217-219.
5. WICK H. [Buscopan]. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Exp PatholPharmakol. 1951;213(6):485-500.
6. Sirohiwal D, Dahiya K, De M. Efficacy of hyoscine-N-butyl bromide (Buscopan) suppositories as a cervical spasmolytic agent in labour. Aust NZJ Obstet Gynaecol. 2005; 45 (2): 128-9.doi: 10.1111/j. 1479-828X.2005. 00359.x
7. Sharma JB, Pundir P, Kumar A, Murthy NS. Drotaverine hydrochloride vs. valethamate bromide in acceleration of labor. Int J Gynecol Obstet. 2001;74(3): 255-60. doi: 10.4103/0976-500X.64528
8. Kaur D, Kaur R. Comparision of Drotavarine and epidosin in first stage of labour, J Obstet Gynaeccol India. 2003;53(5):449-452.
9. Mishra SL, Toshniwal A, Banerjee R. Effect of drotaverine on cervical dilatation-a comparative study with epidosin (valethamate bromide). J Obstet Gynecol India. 2002;52(3):76-79.
10. Vellanki VS. Comparison of Busscopan and Epidpsinoncervical dilation in labour. Global J Med Res. 2010;10(2):18-21.
11. Tewari K, Jabeen R, Sabzposh MA, Rabbani T. Comparison of Hyoscine-Butylbromide and Valethamate Bromide in shortening the duration of labour. Ind Med Gaz. 2003;137(1):15-19.doi: 10.2147/ TCRM.S16415
12. Makvandi S, Tadayon M, Abbaspour M. Effect of hyoscine-N-butyl bromide rectal suppository on labor progress in primigravid women: randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. Croatian Med Journal. 2011;52(2):159-163. doi: 10.3325/cmj. 2011. 52.159
13. Samuels LA, Christie L, Roberts-Gittens B, Fletcher H, Frederick J. The effect of hyoscine butylbromide on the first stage of labour in term pregnancies. BJOG. 2007;114(12): 1542 1546. Epub 2007. doi:10. 1111/j. 1471- 0528.2007.01497.x
14. Sekhavat L, Karbasi SA, Fallah R, Mirowliai M. Effect of hyoscine butylbromide first stage of labour in multiparus women. Afr Health Sci. 2012;12(4):408-411.
15. Al Dohami HS, Al Matari FI. Is Buscopan (hyoscine-N-butylbromide) effective in shortening labor. In12th Annual General Meeting of the Saudi Obstetric and Gynaecological Society 2002 Apr 17 (pp. 17-18).
16. Qahtani NH, Hajeri FA. The effect of hyoscine butylbromide in shortening the first stage of labor: A double blind, randomized, controlled, clinical trial. Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2011;7:495-500. doi: 10.2147/ TCRM. S16415. Epub2011 .
17. Kirim S, Asicioglu O, Yenigul N, Aydogan B, Bahat N, Bayrak M. Effect of intravenous hyoscine-N-butyl bromide on active phase of labor progress: a randomized double blind placebo controlled trial. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2015;28(9):1038-1042. doi: 10.3109/14767058.2014.942628. Epub 2014.
Copyright (c) 2019 Author (s). Published by Siddharth Health Research and Social Welfare Society
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.