Fetal Kidney Length for Determining Gestational Age in Third Trimester
Introduction: Accurate gestational age assessment is important in obstetric care. Ultrasonography plays a significant role in determination of Gestational Age. The ultrasonographic parameters used for GA determination are Crown rump Length, Biparietal diameter, Head circumference, and abdominal circumference and Femur length. Fetal kidney length (FKL) is one of the emerging parameter in estimation of gestational age. Renal length in mm is identified to approximate the gestational age in weeks. The present study is aimed to corroborate that FKL as a good parameter for gestational age estimation in third trimester.
Objective: Is to ascertain the precision of the ultrasonographic 'foetal kidney length' measurement as a reliable parameter for determination of GA in third trimester.
Material and Methods: One year Cross-Sectional and an Observational Study was conducted on 171 antenatal women in the third trimester after corroborating the gestational age by first trimester ultra sound and GA by LMP. Ultrasound measurements of Foetal kidney length were taken and correlation with last menstrual period gestational age and with other parameters (BPD, HC, AC, FL) were evaluated.
Results: This study showed a good correlation of Mean kidney length with GA by LMP of (r=0.991) than the rest of the parameters, HC(r=0.836), FL(r=0.853), AC(r=0.853), BPD (r=0.734) with p value=0.000 for all the parameters.
Conclusion: This study confirms that the fetal kidney length measurement is a reliable ultrasonographic parameter for estimating the gestational age accurately in the 3rd trimester and also it is observed that the correlation is increased when used along with other parameters.
2. Pernoll ML, et al. Normal pregnancy and prenatal care. In: Decherney AH, Pernoll ML, editors. Current Obstetric and Gynecologic Diagnosis and Treatment. 8thed. Fast Norwalk. Appleton and Lange; 1994; 183–201
3. Grannum P, Bracken M, Silverman R, Hobbins JC. Assessment of fetal kidney size in normal gestation by comparison of ratio of kidney circumference to abdominal circumference. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1980 Jan 15;136(2):249-54.[pubmed]
4. Geirsson RT, Busby-Earle RM. Certain dates may not provide a reliable estimate of gestational age. Br J ObstetGynaecol. 1991 Jan;98(1):108-9.[pubmed]
5. Andersen HF, Johnson TR Jr, Flora JD Jr, Barclay ML. Gestational age assessment. II. Prediction from combined clinical observations. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1981 Aug 1;140(7):770-4.[pubmed]
6. Grudzinskas JG. Assessment of fetal wellbeing in early pregnancy. In: Edmonds D, editor. Dewhurst’s Textbook of Obstetrics and Gynaecology for postgraduates. 6th ed. Blackwell science Ltd.; 1999; 133–8.
7. Hadlock FP, et al. Determination of fetal age. In: Athey PA, Hadlock FP, editors. Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2nd Ed. New Delhi: B.I. Churchill Livingstone Pvt. Ltd.; 1985; 22–37.[pubmed]
8. Otto C, Platt LD. Fetal growth and development. ObstetGynecol Clin North Am. 1991 Dec;18(4):907-31.[pubmed]
9. MacGregor SN, et al. Assessment of gestational age by ultrasound. Globlibr women's med. 2008. DOI 10.3843/GLOWM.10206
10. Benson CB, Doubilet PM. Sonographic prediction of gestational age: accuracy of second- and third-trimester fetal measurements. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1991 Dec;157(6):1275-7. DOI:10.2214/ajr.157.6.1950881
11. Reece EA, Goldstein I, Pilu G, Hobbins JC. Fetal cerebellar growth unaffected by intrauterine growth retardation: a new parameter for prenatal diagnosis. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1987 Sep;157(3):632-8.[pubmed]
12. Hill LM, Guzick D, Fries J, et al. The transverse cerebellar diameter in estimating gestational age in the large for gestational age fetus. Obstet Gynecol. 1990 Jun;75(6):981-5.[pubmed]
13. Sagi J, Vagman I, David MP, et al. Fetal kidney size related to gestational age. GynecolObstet Invest. 1987;23(1):1-4.[pubmed]
14. Gottlieb AG, Galan HL. Nontraditional sonographic pearls in estimating gestational age. SeminPerinatol. 2008 Jun;32(3):154-60. doi: 10.1053/j.semperi.2008.02.003.[pubmed]
15. Konje JC, Abrams KR, Bell SC, Taylor DJ. Determination of gestational age after the 24th week of gestation from fetal kidney length measurements. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2002 Jun;19(6):592-7.[pubmed]
16. Cohen HL, et al. Normal length of fetal kidneys: sonographic study in 397 obstetric patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1991 Sep; 157(3):545–8.DOI:10.2214/ajr.157.3.1872242
17. Cannie M, et al. Prenatal Magnetic Resonance Imaging Demonstrates Linear Growth of the Human Fetal Kidneys during Gestation. J Urol 2007; 178:1570-74.
18. Seo Y S, et al. Normal size of fetal kidneys: Sonographic Measurements. Korean J ObstetGynecol2003; 46 (3): 537- 41.[pubmed]
19. Bertagnoli L, Lalatta F, Gallicchio R, et al. Quantitative characterization of the growth of the fetal kidney. J Clin Ultrasound. 1983 Sep;11(7):349-56.[pubmed]
20. Mahesset, et al .Fetal kidney length and gestational age. American Journal of roentology.1999 Vol 157; 545-48.
21. Ansari SM, Saha M, Paul AK, et al. Ultrasonographic study of 793 foetuses: measurement of normal foetal kidney lengths in Bangladesh. AustralasRadiol. 1997 Feb;41(1):3-5.[pubmed]
22. Rahman H, et al. Ultrasonographic evaluation of fetal kidney length in third trimester: correlation with gestational age. Bangladesh Journal of Radiology and Imaging 2008;16(1):6–10
23. Lawson TL, Foley WD, Berland LL, Clark KE. Ultrasonic evaluation of fetal kidneys. Radiology. 1981 Jan;138(1):153-6. DOI:10.1148/radiology.138.1.7455076.[pubmed]
24. Fong KW,et al. Fetal urogenital tract. In: Rumarck CM, Wilson SR, Carbonean JW, editors. Diagnostic ultrasound. Volume II. 2nd ed. New York: Mosby Year book Inc; 1998; 1069–92.
25. Scott JE, Wright B, Wilson G, et al. Measuring the fetal kidney with ultrasonography. Br J Urol. 1995 Dec;76(6):769-74.[pubmed]
26. SeilanianToosi F, Rezaie-Delui H. Evaluation of the normal fetal kidney length and its correlation with gestational age. Acta Med Iran. 2013 May 30;51(5):303-6.[pubmed]
27. Peter M, et al. Fetal kidney length as a parameter for determination of gestational age from 20th week to term in healthy women with uncomplicated pregnancy. Int J Res Med Sci 2017; 5:1869-73. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-6012.ijrms20171808.
Copyright (c) 2018 Author (s). Published by Siddharth Health Research and Social Welfare Society
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.